Volunteer & Employment Opportunities
Become A Teaching Fellow
Summer Program 2021
We are now accepting applications for summer 2021 Teaching Fellows!
The Breakthrough Teaching Fellow experience is designed for undergraduates of all majors and for high school students looking to pursue careers in education, as well as those who haven’t yet considered it. The opportunity is unlike any other, our staff are transformed by the experience. Education coursework is not a prerequisite. We seek applicants with a deep interest in social justice and a passion for working with students. Our Teaching Fellows must be committed to personal growth and comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. Because we celebrate the diversity of our community, we seek applicants from diverse backgrounds and life experiences. During the nine-week residency, Breakthrough Teaching Fellows receive over 100 hours of teaching and leadership training, and 75 hours of lead classroom experience. Teaching Fellows have the opportunity to practice skills that prepare them for the classroom or other professional settings. Learn lesson planning, classroom management, instructional strategies, feedback techniques, and other essential learning tools:
- Receive regular coaching from professional educators
- Lead family conferences and participate in team meetings
- Teach core academic classes (math, science, writing, literature) and elective classes (e.g., foreign language, dance, art)
- Collaborate with colleagues in a challenging, fun, and supportive environment
- Work with a diverse group of highly motivated students, staff, and teachers
- Learn how to receive and deliver actionable feedback
- Practice presentation skills
- Hone time management and project planning
Applications are now closed for our School Year Program.